Sunday, August 18, 2013

View from the South

(blog post by D'Wain Carthen)

Let's talk about beer! OK now that I have your attention let's get down to business. There's a new beer spot in town..and its name is McNellies South City. Yes. Our beloved McNellies has opened a new location in South Tulsa. For me this is great news. I literally live less that 5 miles from this place as opposed to having to drive 20 minutes downtown.

Convenience. Is. King. But is it everything? 

This is the question of which we seek to answer.

McNellie's South City is located on 71st. & Yale in Tulsa right by the Charleston's. If you have been to the OG McNellies in downtown Tulsa you are used to being greeted by a squeeky door before walking in to a room full of wood....and beer. South City delivers the wood and beer(this should he their tag line), but what they are missing is the worn ruggedness that we have all come to love. 

Everything in South City is new as it should be, but I instantly miss the old worn feel of miss matched chairs and Irish memorabilia.  We had a group of 8 and the wait was only 30 minutes, so the capacity is much larger at this location, if you exclude the upstairs area downtown.  As we waited I surveyed the taps. Instantly, I loved the bar setup. Double-sided wrap around bar and I spot Anthem Golden One and Rough Tail along with the usual suspects: Marshall and Prairie on tap. Support local!  There is also a nice beautiful cooler lining the back wall behind 
the bar. Loving the aesthetics. 

In place of the upstairs area there is a patio area outside.  This will be great when the whether is nice.  I could easily see some outside games coming about out there, like a big Jenga board...ping pong..etc.  There is certainly a lot more room for the place to evolve.  As does McNellie's downtown, the South location reflects the area of town that it is in.  I encourage my fellow craft beer drinkers to check out our new beer location and try some local brews.  I was disappointed to see many rounds of Coors Light tallboys being ordered by a table nearby us...but I guess you go with what you know.


While South City provides more space and convenience, for me I still feel like McNellies downtown is my place to be.  However, the idea is to make South City in to a great place to go have a beer.  The time is nigh!  They just opened within the last month. We need to build its character. Make it in to YOUR beer place. Sit at the bar, imbibe with those around, and have fun.

Cheers! 

-D'Wain

No comments:

Post a Comment